Message from the Principal
Dear McKinleyville Middle School Families;
McKinleyville Middle School staff, students, and parents have done an amazing job of responding to the current COVID 19 situation and once again demonstrated their resiliency and commitment. As we bring an end to the 2019-2020 school year, we celebrate accomplishment of all our students. Distance Learning opportunities that were extended and supported by teaching staff included paper and digital academic packets available for pick up, collection of paper student work at the site and via email, phone consultations and Google Classrooms, and digital, virtual lessons, meetings and tutorial groups. Progress Reports will be mailed home the week of June 15. We will hold every student harmless, the information on the Progress Report will pertain only to your child’s engagement in the distance learning process.
We thank you for your willingness to finish strong! It has been a challenging ending to the school year, but I hope you have found ways to embrace the change to our typical routines. No matter what, we have all learned to adapt. We often have little control over what happens to us in life, but we have full control over how we choose to respond. Thank you, students, parents, and teachers for finding new ways to learn, teach, communicate, and grow.
As we prepare to close out another year and retool for the 2020-2021 school year, we know there are many questions and unknowns at this point and while we all share the same feeling of uncertainty, there are several things we know:
End of the year materials pick-up/drop-off for MMS students will be June 8th from 8:30 to 5:00 and/or June 12th from 8:30 to 2:00.
- school library book(s)
- teacher library book(s)
- musical instruments
- district issued ChromeBooks
- athletic/team uniforms
- lunch accounts
- and/or any other school property that may have been taken home
Lost and found: items will be displayed on the long bench and dismissal area outside the cafeteria.
More About Stuff -Student Belongings: During the next couple of weeks, the teachers will gather students’ belongings throughout their rooms. The belongings will be bagged and made available on June 8th and June 12th for parents/guardians for curbside pick-up at MMS.
Final Due Date:
The last day to submit student work on-line or at MMS is Monday, June 8th.
Food Service: Balances left in accounts will roll over for the next school year. Food Service Account balances will be refunded to 8th grade families by individual request. If there are younger siblings in the District those balances can be transferred and roll over to the next school year.
- McKinleyville Middle Schools will celebrate the graduating class of 2020 at 3 PM on Friday, June 12. We will publish a video of graduation online.
- McKinleyville school leaders will work diligently to prepare for the very best start to the 2020-2021 school year we can possibly offer our students and families. Your feedback is important, so we ask that you take a moment to respond to a short survey. As more details become available from the CDC and the Department of Public Health we will take your feedback in tandem with suggested safeguards to provide for an optimal experience for students, teachers, and parents.
- We will work all summer to prepare with scientifically proven cleaning and disinfecting supplies with a thoughtful plan for ongoing disinfecting strategies.
- We will continue to communicate and keep parents and students informed as we progress over the next few weeks.
I recognize many challenges that the last few months brought to you, our students and your families. We are exceptionally blessed with absolutely amazing students and we consider it a privilege to partner with families as we all work together through a unique time in our lives.
Yours in education,
Middle School Principal